As we head into summer, now more than ever we are looking for fun activities to do with our dogs. The weather is beautiful and you and your dog both just want to get OUT. But where ? To do what?
I compiled 30 awesome things to do with my dogs this summer that you can do with your pup too! Getting your pup out and about is extremely important for their socialization, and their relationship with you! A lot of people do not realize just how dog friendly our world is, now more than ever Fido is welcome too!
1. Go on a dog friendly vacation! You can find the best dog friendly spots at http://www.dogfriendly.com or download the Bring Fido app!
2. Go camping! The most fun way to social distance! Check out my other post for everything you need to bring when going camping with your pup!
3. Go to the beach! The beach is always a lot of fun for any dog. Whether you have a water baby, digging champ, or a sun bathing cutie, there's something for every four legged friend at the beach!
4. Go swimming, either in nature or in a pool! Make sure to research safe beaches and water though!! Blue green algae is very dangerous for pets. A great resource is Beach Guard, which will show you any active and past advisories, along with some other helpful information.
5. Practice obedience training! Summer school isn't just for the kiddos, get a head start on your training goals by using this extra time to practice and proof your commands. You could even create a summer training goal sheet to keep track of progress!
If you really want to advance your pups obedience this summer I recommend getting a training aid device. One of my favorites is Petsafes Treat and Train, it allows you to train at a distance and really proof those stays! It is a little pricey, but I promise it is more than worth it for all the features you get. It comes with both a book manual and DVD to get you started, and even a target stick for more advanced training.
Get yours Here!
6. Take up agility training! The warm summer weather means more time outdoors, create your own agility course and have fun! I know some dog parks are closed right now, and when they open you still may not be that comfortable going… but you can do this in your backyard or on the trails! You can even make your own with items around you or you can even get your own agility kit!
They have a pretty inexpensive one here!
7. Take your dog to summer camp! This one may be difficult this year, but you could always check with your local dog community if there are any events planned. Some groups are taking steps to still safely hold doggie camp, by reducing group sizes and implementing social distancing practices. Dog Scouts of America has an amazing Summer camp program!
8. Do a virtual 5k! A lot of the shelters and rescues normally hold fundraising 5K events, with the changing times most of them even offer virtual events as well! The upside to this is you can join and participate from anywhere! Its also for a good cause!
9. Have a picnic! Me and my pup love going to the park to have lunch. Make a day out of it, pack your favorite snacks (and Fido's!), go for a hike and enjoy the great outdoors and some sunshine to top it off!
10. Go for a hike! Look up local metro parks in your area and get exploring!
11. Take a self guided tour! Most cities have online resources to take your own tour! There's many different kinds depending on what you are interested in. The last one Bentley and I did was a Mural tour in downtown Dayton! Its great exercise and gives you lots of photo ops!
12. Make pupsicles! There are so many recipes for doggy Popsicles! Find one with your pups favorite flavors, and enjoy!
13. Make doggy smores! Did you know such wonderfulness existed?! Find the recipe here! Don't forget to save some to take on your camping trip!
14. Take a sidewalk chalk photo! This is a fun way to find the inner child in you again, and express some artistic creativity. Not only will you end up with an adorable photo, your art will put smiles on the faces of everyone in your neighborhood!
15. Go on a road trip! Travel is cheaper than ever right now, why not take advantage? Go someplace new, pack some lunch, and have fun!
16. Another way to express your creativity is with Paw Print Art! This is a fun project for a rainy day, and it allows you to create a keepsake of your best furry friend! Get paw safe paint here!
17. Learn a new trick! Or two! You can find one of my favorite dog trick training resources Here!
18. Make your dog an Instagram to capture all your summer memories! Me and Bentley have lots of fun creating post for Instagram and sharing moments with our virtual friends! Check back soon for a new post outlining how to make your pet a Instagram star! You can also check out our Instagram here for some fun ideas!
19. Enjoy doggy ice cream! There is not much better than ice cream on a hot summer day! Get your furry friend some special (and safe) doggy ice cream here!
20. Make a tie dye bandana for your dog and matching tank for yourself! What’s cuter than matching with your furry best friend? Matching in fun DIY tie dye of coarse! This is a super fun activity to do outside and enjoy the warm weather! Plus tie dye matches with just about anything! You could even have a tie dying party with all your friends and their pups! That’s what we will be doing at Bentley’s birthday party this year!
Get the perfect tie dye kit HERE!
21. Take your pup to a local splash pad or buy your own! Splash pads are not just for kiddos anymore! They now have splash pads made with the most durable and safe materials to be able to be used by your dog! This is the one I got!
22. Try dock diving! You can do this either at a lake or at a dog dock diving center!
23. Play in the sand! What pup does not love to dig?! Check out your local beach and make some puppy “sand art”! If you do not have access to a beach, you can always make your own doggy sandbox!
24. Draw or paint a doggy portrait! Get creative! You can use any kind of medium you like, paint, pencil, digital, whatever makes you happy!
25. Go canoeing or tubing! Just make sure to be safe! Nature is unpredictable, and even if your dog is a good swimmer, a lifejacket can save their life in an emergency! Always bring along a doggy life jacket and plenty of fresh water!
26. Go for a boat ride or Canine cruise! If you are looking for something a little more classy than a tube or canoe, check to see if there are any dog friendly cruises / boat rentals in your area! They have a wonderful canine cruise along the Chicago canal!
27. Go to a dog friendly outdoor restaurant! Get out your Bring Fido app and find a tasty restaurant you and your dog can both enjoy!
28. Go to a dog friendly outdoor bar or brewery! Pooches can party too! Our favorite is Brew Dog’s Dog House, they have a distillery and brewery, plus a dog friendly hotel, and even a dog park and walking trail! The perfect place to visit for beer and dog lovers!
29. Have a party! Invite all your favorite 2 legged and 4 legged friends for a summer party! Get out the doggy pool and other outdoor toys and just let the party happen! You can also use some or all of these summer activities to make the perfect pup party!
30. Puppy playdate! If a large group is not yet advisable, you can still have a one on one puppy playdate! Just make sure to use good judgement, social distancing practices and good hygiene!
31. Go to a pet store and find a summer toy! Reward your pup for all their hard work with a new fun summer themed toy!
32. Create a doggy ball pit! Does your pup not really enjoy water, but you still want to create a fun outdoor enrichment activity? Ball pits are a pups dream come true! You can even throw in some squeaky balls or tennis balls for extra fun!
33. Play enrichment games! There are tons of canine enrichment games you can play with your pup! You can find specific game ideas online or join a Canine enrichment Facebook group for inspiration! One of my favorites is the cup game. You get 3 cups and some treats, hide a treat under one of the cups and let your pup sniff out the treat. Once they get good, it makes for a pretty good party trick too!
34. Make your dog dinner! Raw feeding has been shown to have many positive health benefits for dogs, but it can be very expensive and a lot of hard work! It also takes expertise to get the nutrients for your dogs specific diet calculated correctly. But that doesn't mean you can not give your dog a fresh meal every once in a while!
35. Play with dog flavored bubbles! We had to save Bentley’s favorite for last! The day we discovered dog flavored bubbles was a momentous one! I've never seen Bentley so excited and interested in a toy! You can get small handblown dog bubbles but they tend to have a thick consistency, get messy, and don't work very well…. We instead found a dog bubble machine on Amazon, that comes with a large container of bacon flavored bubbles for a reasonable price.
Ok, so now that you have tons of fun ideas, get out there and enjoy the dog days of summer!
Don't forget to follow our summer adventures on Instagram @puppyofmine!
Tag us in your summer memories to be featured on our Instagram or blog! @pawztopose